Table of Contents
- What is sustainability?
- Pillars of sustainability
- Why is sustainability important?
- Some examples of Sustainability
The concept of sustainability has long been focused upon the development of society. It is not a new term. We have all been hearing this word frequently as the need for sustainability in all spheres of life has become necessary. Sustainability has been stressed even more. It has been emphasized by the United Nations, where they have set 17 sustainable development goals to eradicate poverty, provide free education, zero hunger, and equality.
So why is sustainability important? The environment has been put under so much stress due to human activities, and the result is known to everyone. Even business firms and organizations are thinking of ways and have implemented them to make a difference in the environment. With the increasing environmental issues like climate change, global warming, pollution, etc., the environment has been significantly harmed. This calls for an urgent need to adopt these goals so that a better planet can be created.
What is sustainability?
Sustainability relates to using the resources so that these resources can be utilized for future generations. It is the process through which individuals can avoid depleting natural resources and preserve these resources for the future. Sustainability will help maintain the planet in a condition where life can flourish. Sustainability includes improving and keeping our depleting resources, changing our consumption patterns, and adopting a good lifestyle for the environment.
Pillars of sustainability
The world summit on Social Development in the year 2005 identified three core areas that contribute to the philosophy and science of sustainable development. These three pillars will help in tackling the core areas that the world faces. The three pillars of sustainability are-
- Economic development- this relates to the use of resources in such a way that they can be used for the long-term. It means improvising the company’s productivity and growth without posing a threat to people and the environment. For instance, a diesel power plant operates for 24 hours using diesel engines that emit black smoke and produce an irritating sound. No doubt the company is earning profits, but its noise emits, and its noise is harmful to the environment and the people. The aim should be to make profits by balancing both the environment and the people.
- Social development- social development includes giving priority to the welfare of a company’s workers. These skills will help the company in its growth and development. The company can provide training to its employees, which can be useful for them in the future. Providing workers with an environment that is better for them and give them facilities makes them contented and happier, which will lead to improved productivity.
- Environment development- this pillar will be achieved when the other two pillars are in line. The resources should be utilized in such a manner that it could provide for future generations without compromising for the present generations.so, adopting a sustainable approach will help preserve the environment and save the planet for future generations.
Why is sustainability important?
Why is sustainability important you ask? Sustainability is essential for improving the quality of life of people. If they have access to clean air, water, and sanitation, they will live a better and healthier life. Sustainability will help in utilizing the resources efficiently to sustain for a more extended period. Sustainability will help maintain the health of the people also. If we do not adopt sustainable ways, we will run out of our natural resources, thousand of animals will become extinct, the biodiversity will be destroyed, and impact the overall quality of life.
Becoming sustainable will help in conserving energy resources. It will lead to less waste and less pollution. It will decrease your carbon footprint and lead to a greener environment. It will promote healthier living as people will cycle and walk instead of traveling by cars and motorbikes. It promotes the use of harmless natural products in place of synthetic products. Not only for the environment, practicing sustainability will be beneficial for businesses also. It will improve their productivity, improve brand image, and give them a competitive advantage over their competitors. It will also lead to improved employee performance, health, and wellness.
Sustainability also leads to new inventions and innovations. For instance, making fashion and clothing innovations by companies bringing sustainable fashion will help reduce carbon emissions, fabric waste, water usage, and other resources. Adapting carbon removal techniques can reduce the carbon footprint and maintain the ecological balance of the environment. Sustainability is a way to maintain trust between the company and the government. This way, they work together to maintain the planet a healthy and green place to live in. sustainability is required in every field of life and can be practiced in every possible way. It should be incorporated into our daily habits so that they can make a difference.
Some examples of Sustainability
One of the examples of environmental sustainability is the system of sustainable agriculture. Sustainable agriculture uses such practices by integrating animal and plant production, which increases productivity and has minimum impact on the environment. Crop rotation is a very effective way of promoting sustainable development. The rotation of crops helps improve the soil’s quality and increases the fertility of the soil. Sustainability in the fashion industry is also a leading example of environmental sustainability.
A shift from fast fashion to sustainable fashion or slow fashion where quality pieces keeping the environment in mind will be produced. The products would be produced with the thought of being ethical without compromising on trends and style. A sustainable item can be reused, recycled, repaired, and revamped to increase its longevity and minimize its toll on the environment. Another sustainable trend to be looked into is the focus on automobile manufacturing and applying such techniques to promote fuel-free cars. The leading example is Telsa, who is making cars and vehicles that run on electricity. The concept of self-driven cars is also popular and is practiced in many cities, and following the footsteps, the automobile industry can be reshaped, and sustainability can be ensured.
Embracing sustainability is quite a good move for the coming future. If we start taking little steps today, we can help our future generations reap its benefits. Adopting a sustainable lifestyle is the need of the hour, and we, as individuals, should do our best. We can save this beautiful planet through our small efforts so that our children can witness a beautiful and green world.