Climate change has affected all individuals, and its effects have been particularly extreme in India. Climate change is not solely the fault of the government. All must pitch in to help the cause. We use automobiles and air conditioners and consume a lot of energy, contributing to the adverse effects of climate change. We live in a time where most of our critical tech devices need continuous charging to work properly. As long as we rely on our technological devices to carry out our daily activities, our energy bills will keep going up. Thankfully, the sun provides a dependable and inexpensive source of energy. Since the sun is both free and infinite, it can be utilised and used to meet our everyday energy needs. Solar energy is a clean energy source that is gaining popularity due to its numerous advantages. Due to its ideal geographical position, India is one of the nation’s top solar energy generators. And with the increasing popularity of individuals adapting to the use of solar energy, the target of the ministry of New and Renewable Energy of solar installations with a capacity of 175 GW by March 2022 seems to be achievable. Rooftop solar panels are becoming increasingly common because of the low installation cost and energy-saving benefits.
So, this world environment day, let’s find out how rooftop solar panels have become a rage among people to save energy and to promote solar energy.
How do the solar panels work?
Solar Photovoltaic cells are sandwiched between layers of silicon-based semiconducting material. When light shines on them, electrons are knocked free, causing an electric current to surge. Solar panels are made up of solar cells, and solar arrays are made up of several solar panels linked together. Solar panels should be mounted on a south-facing roof to get the lightest exposure, but they may also be installed on an east- or west-facing roof. Solar panels should be positioned at an angle of between 10 and 50 degrees, with 30 and 40 degrees being the best. Solar panels are typically placed on rooftops, but they can also be mounted on walls or the ground, or solar tiles can be installed. The device includes a battery powered by solar energy and can also store electricity for use at night. In off-grid networks, batteries are commonly used. An inverter is needed to convert the DC power provided by the system to AC power, which can then be used by the devices and appliances in the home. The entire home solar power system is connected with sufficient and suitable cabling and wiring to channel the energy into a functional shape.
Factors to consider before installing solar panels on the rooftop
This environment day 2021 is all about understanding how to save energy and the increasing cost of electricity. With the help of solar panels, you can generate your electricity with the natural sun, which is free of charge. If you want to install solar panels on your roof, you must first determine if your roof is appropriate, including if it is large enough and how much sunlight it receives.
- You’ll need to consider the size of your solar panel system. It’s critical to make sure the size is sufficient to meet your home’s energy requirements while also avoiding a significant surplus.
- You might consider setting up a solar battery or energy storage device to store the electricity produced by your solar panels. This makes it easy to store electricity produced during the day and use it at night, allowing you to become more self-sufficient and reduce your reliance on the grid.
- While solar PV panels do generally not need authorisation, it is essential to check with your local authority to see any restrictions. You can also check with your home insurance company to see if solar panels are covered and if your premiums need to be changed.
- It is necessary to determine the amount of AC power needed in the house. The easiest way to figure this out is to look at the previous year’s highest monthly energy bill. The bill shows how many units of electricity were used during that month. The daily intake is calculated by multiplying the units by the number of days in the month.
How much does installing a solar panel on a rooftop cost?
Solar power is a capital-intensive technology, and the majority of the cost of ownership is incurred when purchasing the equipment. A 1 kW rooftop solar system costs between $45,000 ($612) and $85,000 ($1,156), not including the cost of batteries. A 5 kW system could cost between $225,000 ($3,061) and $425,000 ($5,782), not including GST. Other costs can be incurred, such as constructing an elevated surface or the reinforcement of roofs as required. The brand chosen by the customer determines the cost of the device. It also depends on the efficiency of the system’s solar panels, inverters, mounting systems, and other components. So, if a buyer chooses a cost-effective model, it will cost between $225,000 and $325,000. These systems are long-term investments, and the efficiency of the components used directly impacts the product’s performance and functionality.
Benefits of installing solar panels for solar energy
Solar energy and other renewable energy resources are benefiting the world in various ways, and homeowners are becoming aware of this.
- Solar photovoltaic cells do not need water to produce electricity, even though all manufacturing processes do. This is without a doubt one of the most critical environmental advantages of solar panels. Solar energy, unlike geothermal or conventional biomass plants, decreases contamination of local waterways, so it is a benefit of solar energy.
- Installing a solar panel system will help you reduce your carbon footprint and help the environment. The electric power industry accounted for 34% of total CO2 emissions in the United States, fossil fuel burning to account for the large majority.
- Coal, natural gas, and oil are examples of conventional energy that include the extraction and burning of fossil fuels. As a result, more greenhouse gas emissions, such as carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane, are emitted into the air, contributing to increased air pollution.
- Coal-fired power plants are also due to the release of millions of tonnes of radioactive waste into the atmosphere, in addition to carbon dioxide and other air contaminants. These toxic wastes are dumped in abandoned mines, landfills, and other locations that can be hazardous to the environment and the health of those who live nearby.
How much energy can one save when installing solar panels on the rooftop?
Installing solar panels on your roof effectively transforms your home into its mini power station. You produce renewable energy, which lowers or eliminates your electricity bills.
The amount of money you can save by going solar is determined by two primary factors:
The current cost of obtaining power from the grid and the cost of generating your electricity with solar panels using solar energy. Examining the electricity bill is the simplest way to work it out. Electricity costs from fossil fuel sources cost the average Asian family about $1,500 a year. That means that installing a solar panel system that can meet 100 per cent of your needs will save you more than $100 per month. Your solar panel system will pay for itself in 10 years or less if you spend near the average rate. Also, keep in mind that electricity prices rise on an annual basis – currently at a rate of about 2.2 per cent per year. Using solar panels to generate your energy costs the same year after year. Solar panels can last years, but the average lifespan is currently about 25 years. That’s 15 years of free electricity and a significant reduction in environmental effects.
How is the earth festival initiative by Buzzonnearth changing the environmental scenario this world environment day?
While every year we celebrate world environment day and discuss the pressing issues faced by the planet earth, this year, the earth festival by Buzzonearth is doing something innovative digitally. The festival discusses various environmental topics and the latest happenings around the world. We have a sustainnovation series where they talk about innovations in the field of the environment. We will also conduct sustainability podcasts, leadership web talks, discussion on ecological restoration and corporate sustainability. And last but not the least, we will also show how women play a significant role in promoting sustainability and making this planet a better place. For More Click here.